Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Labor Day Weekend

While the weekend was rather uneventful, I enjoyed Curtis being home 4 days in a row.  I felt very spoiled being able to spend so much time as a family.  Friday we finally decided to pay the necessary amount to start baby proofing the house.  We bought a couple of gates because Miss Ava is getting into absolutely everything and keeping us on our toes...constantly.  We also took Ava to her first football game at the high school where my brother coaches.  She had such a good time and enjoyed all the new sights and sounds.  After the game, we let her crawl around on the football field.  Her cousins were on the field being crazy and doing cartwheels and stuff.  Ava was getting so excited...she wanted to be right there in the middle of them.  We are quickly learning that Ava has no fear of things.  On Saturday, we were going to get so much done, but my nausea and stuff came back in full force and so I was not much help.  I mostly laid around on the couch and slept.  That evening we decided to go to my parents so Curtis could watch the Alabama game.  We got rid of cable last year and I think it was one of the best things we ever did, but it means that sometimes we have to make trips to my parents to watch certain games that don't come on local channels.  Of course, Ava had a great time and enjoyed being at her grandma and grandpas house.  Sunday was a great morning at church.  Ava got to see her favorite teachers and play with her friends in nursery.  We went to Cracker Barrel and that was horrific.  She was horrible.  We each had to take turns eating because she was busy throwing fits and just misbehaving in general.  We had decided that we were going to go to Matthews Alive afterward.  That was also horrific.  I wanted to go so bad, but 15 minutes in and I almost passed out.  We were walking along the crafts corridor and all of a sudden I got so weak and everything went black.  I was still able to walk but had to hold on to the stroller.  A lady who was working the booth saw me and had me sit in her tent.  She wet a burp cloth for me and Curtis got me another water.  It was scary.  That was not my first almost pass outs. It was with this pregnancy but that happened to me several times with Ava's pregnancy.  Once I actually did pass out, the other instances, I came extremely close.  So, its official.  I cannot handle heat when I am pregnant.  I felt so bad the rest of the day and felt so sorry for ruining all the fun we were going to have.  I am thankful for the kind woman who gave me a shaded tent and chair and a ice cold burp cloth to cool myself off with.  Its funny...there was a man walking around preaching hell and damnation to everyone at Matthews Alive and all he was getting was weird looks and laughs.  I am sure his intentions were good, but he was doing nothing but scaring people.  But there was this kind lady who preached God's love just through her actions.  I wish that guy understood the good of what she did and would maybe attempt to be His hands and feet instead of ranting about how wicked we are and need God.  While what he was saying was true, its not the way to reach unbelievers.  Labor day was just another day in the Alford house.  We got to grocery shop as a family.  Then we made taco soup, queso dip and watched a movie while Ava napped.  It was a wonderful time together, just the two of us...and much needed.  This weekend reminded me of how I don't need big, extravagant trips (although those are always nice, always welcomed, and always enjoyed).  I just need time with my family.  Time to be a family.  I am thankful that God gave Curtis a 4 day rest from his job and that we got to be together the entire time.  It was great for Curtis to be able to get Ava up from her crib and get to enjoy her huge hugs in the morning.  He got to play with her and see what her normal routine is.  I know he enjoyed it and Ava loved having her daddy home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment