Monday, September 23, 2013

My Grandpa

As many of you know, my grandfather passed away on Saturday...about an hour after we got to say goodbye to him.  We barely made it, but I like to think he was waiting on us.  I remember that day, as we were making the drive, going back and forth wondering if I wanted to see him laying in the hospital bed.  I can say now, I am very thankful for that quiet time with him before he passed.  I am glad my family made it and could hold his hand and tell him how much we loved him and tell him goodbye, that he could go home now. 

I am at peace with his passing.  I know where he is and I know he is okay.  I can see his smile as he first saw Jesus and as he walked through those pearly gates.  I know he is in a resurrected body and he is feeling good.  I know that all of his crazy questions are answered.  I may have lived 8 hours away from him, but I was very close to him and I loved him with all of my heart.  He means the world to me and he always will. 

He was married to my grandma for 72 years.  72 YEARS!!!  She knew him best and the longest.  They were so funny together.  I know grandpa is up there watching over her. 


My grandpa was a character.  Anyone who knew him would agree.  We have so many hilarious stories about him and those stories will never be forgotten and will be told for years and years to come.  I am very fortunate and blessed to have had him in my life for 31 years.  I am very blessed that he lived a good, long life of 91 (almost) years.  His memory will live on no matter what. 

Grandpa-thank you for hanging on so we could say goodbye to you.  Thank you for loving me no matter what.  You were an amazing grandpa and I have very sweet memories of you.  You will always be very special to me and my family and we will miss you like crazy.  But I know that I will get to see you again one day and you can give me a big, tight hug and pinch of the cheeks and say "Well, hi doll!"  I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment