Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Purpose and Self Worth

I have been questioning my purpose and worth a lot lately. This is not necessarily a bad thing.  Actually, it keeps me constantly looking for ways God can use me. I know I have a purpose.  " For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, " plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11) And, I know I have worth "But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession..." 1 Peter 2:9 These things are true because God is faithful to His promises.  "The Lord is faithful to all His promises and loving toward all He has made." Psalm 145:13 

But, all too often, I am trying to give myself my own purpose and worth.  I am making those decisions and not allowing God to decipher the path He wants me on. I am allowing others opinions of me overshadow who God thinks I am.  I start letting others define who I am and what my purpose should be.Then, I lose sight of God and how He sees me. I forget His Sovereignty.  I forget His perfect timing and His plan and purpose for me.

  Something I read today really stuck out to me.  In my Bible Study by Jennie Allen called Chase she wrote, "See, we have worth, but it doesn't come from within us-it comes to us from the ONE who made us." (emphasis mine). Why am I wasting so much time trying to find some purpose, some self worth within me?  There is nothing good that lives in me, except that which comes from God.  Why aren't my eyes always looking to God for value, worth and purpose?  Why don't I fix my eyes on how He sees me instead of what others see of me? My self worth and my purpose shouldn't be on anything that doesn't glorify God and His kingdom and the only way I can make sure that I am truly understanding that and living that cold, hard truth is by constantly looking to Him for His approval and looking to Him for who He says I am.  And that should be all that matters.  So for now, that is my purpose.  To look to God for all things and through all things, and in all things.  And there my worth will be determined by who God says I am...chosen, royal, holy, set apart, loved, a coheir with Christ. 

God, forgive me for looking to others for purpose and worth.  Forgive me for not seeing the value in who You say I am and for not seeing the value in who You say others around me are.  Help me to look to You for my purpose and help me to only allow You to define what my worth is.  I love You and thank You for setting me apart for a reason.  Help my eyes to be open to those opportunities that will help me live a purposeful life that brings Your kingdom glory and honor and praise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment