Wednesday, September 4, 2013

After he saw he was healed

One of them, when he saw that he was healed, came back to Jesus, shouting, "Praise God!" Luke 17: 15

I don't know about you, but when I read this something different spoke to me then I know speaks to so many other people when they read this passage.  A brief synopsis of what is going on-10 men are suffering with leprosy.  Leprosy was a disease that ate away at your skin and if you had this disease you were considered "unclean".  You were separated from society and noone would touch you or pay any attention to you.  Well, ten men had this disease and saw Jesus from a distance.  They pleaded with Him to cure them and He did.  One of the men was a Samaritan.  Now, a Samaritan was even more unworthy just because he was simply a samaritan.  So, a samaritan with leprosy was even more of a cast off.  Anyway, only one, the Samaritan came back to thank God for the healing He provided.  The other 9 were cleansed and healed, but made no bother to praise God for His healing hand. 

However, this story is told for us to look up to the Samaritan who did the right thing.  He came back and praised God.  But, this time, when reading this passage,what stood out to me was that he came back after he saw that he was healed.  Shouldn't he have praised God even before the healing began? Shouldn't he have been praising God for paying any attention to him in the first place?  Why did he wait for the healing to happen? 

I am not reading the passage to say that this man was wrong for what he did.  He wasn't!  He praised God! But, I think it stood out to me because I am so guilty of this.  Shouldn't I be praising God before my healing begins?  Shouldn't I be praising God for paying any attention to me, my needs, my cares, and my concerns? Shouldn't I be praising God because He has given me another day of life? Shouldn't my entire day be consumed with praising God no matter the circumstances?


I should, but I don't.  I praise God when I get what I want.  I praise God when my prayers are answered to my timing or with the answers I wanted.  And even then, I don't always remember to praise God. 

I do want to be like this man and remember that I need to praise God, but I want to remember to praise God no matter what happens-even if its not the "healing" I asked for. 

Father God, forgive me when I don't praise you in all things.  Forgive me when I forget to give You the glory You deserve and only You are due.  Forgive me when I think I know what it is best for me and what I can handle and not allowing you to take the lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment