Friday, September 6, 2013

Warning Signs

"Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man.  People were eating, drinking, marrying, and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark.  Then the flood came and destroyed them all." Luke 17: 26-27

I have completed my first week with a new Bible Study with Good Morning Girls called Loving like Jesus.  I have really enjoyed it and I love how they make you S.O.A.P (Scripture, observations, application, prayer).

I admit that sometimes I read the Bible and hear the words but don't really listen or think about what is going on or being said.  All to often, reading my Bible daily becomes just another item to check off my list.  However, SOAP has really helped me.  It has made me dig deeper into scripture and think about things I have never thought about before.  When I read the passage above, I was thinking about what was going on then compared to what goes on now. 

We do things the same way.  We are filling our tummies with drinks and food, we are going out with our significant others, we are going to see movies, going grocery shopping, cleaning our homes, cooking dinner, etc., etc., etc. I know I tend to do these things and they become the focus of my life.  Well, in the days of Noah they were going about living their lives, too.  Not a bad thing, its natural and normal.  But it makes me wonder what warning signs am I missing that Christ is coming.  I mean, then, Noah tried to tell them.  They didn't listen.  He was building a huge ark in the middle of the desert and no one took him seriously. Animals from all over were coming to him in pairs?  Didn't someone out there wonder if there was some truth to what he was saying?  Didn't someone wonder if something big was going to happen?

There is so much going on in this world.  There is so much that takes my focus away.  I admit it...I don't think about Christ's coming back all too often.  In fact, I almost avoid thinking about it.  It scares me.  I know, as a Christian, I should be looking forward to that, but there is still so much I want to do in this life.  Mainly, I want to grow old with my husband and watch our children grow and start their own lives, and with God's help, build godly legacies in their families.  I don't think that is sinful to hope and pray for.  But does it sometimes consume my life where that is my focus and not Christ?  Yes and that is sinful.  Because God should be the focus of everything-every part of my life, every second of my day, every ounce of my being.  I don't want to miss warning signs that God needs me to see, hear, or teach to these little lives surrounding me.  I don't want to be destroyed because of my ignorance, arrogance, busyness (whatever it may be that day) got in the way of loving Jesus, loving my neighbors, and seeing His signs that surround me all day long. 

God, I know I am a sinner.  I know I struggle with thinking about and looking forward to Your coming back.  I know that I let life get the focus instead of you.  Father, forgive me for this.  And Lord, help me to have some peace and understanding on this area of my life and what it should look and feel like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment