Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Wimpy Christian

"But with loud shouts they insistently demanded that he be crucified and their shouts prevailed.  So Pilate decided to grant their demand.  He released the man who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, and surrendered Jesus to their will." Luke 23:23-25
 
 
I am a wimpy Christian.  I can't help but wonder if I would have surrendered myself to the crowd for fear of standing up for what is right.  I would like to tell myself that I wouldn't but I don't know.  I think about now and how I rarely stand up for what I believe for fear.  Fear of what others might think, what I might look like, losing friends, losing popularity, looking stupid and naïve.  It is so sad, but it is so true. 
 
 
I have heard sermons lately and read scripture lately that have discussed taking a stand and not being a wimp.  Then I look at Peter.  He loved Jesus.  He wanted Jesus to cleanse all of him, not just his feet.  He took an ear off a soldier who was arresting Jesus.  He truly loved Jesus, and yet, he denied Him three times.  After those denials, he felt horrible.  He wept.  He couldn't believe he could treat the Son of God that way.  Yet, there was still so much hope and so much courage built up for him.  He went on to be a courageous warrior in the fight for God's kingdom. 
 
This gives me hope.  I am not a natural born leader.  I am not a naturally fearless person.  But with God, His strength, His power, His love, His encouragement, and His guidance, I can be a courageous warrior like Peter in the fight for God's people and His kingdom.  I want to be that...Lord, help me to be that.
 
Dear God, I come before you today embarrassed of my timidity.  I am ashamed of how quiet I have been when it comes to standing up for You.  Lord, I want to be unashamed when I stand before You. I don't want You to look at me and ask me why I didn't take a stand.  Father, I know that taking a stand doesn't have to be something loud and forceful.  I know that You desire Your people to take a stand in a peaceful and loving way.  Father, give me your strength, encouragement, wisdom, guidance, courage, and love to shine like a star, to be light on a hill, and to not lose my saltiness.  Father, I love You and I want to please You, but I can't do this alone.  I need You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment