Thursday, January 13, 2011

Imitators of God

So with this new outlook on life I am trying to have I was reading Ephesians 5. There were some things that really spoke to me. Be imitators of God. What does that mean? When someone imitates someone or something they are trying to be like that thing they are imitating. I am suppose to act and respond to things like God would. I am suppose to walk the way He would walk and do the things He would do. I am to imitate him. I am suppose to grow in my godliness. I am suppose to mimic Him--His speech, actions, decisions, etc.

In order to do this I have to get to know God. If I don't know Him, how can I mimic Him? How do I get to know Him? I have to spend time with Him everyday...doing just this--reading His word, thinking about it and applying it to my life and then living it.

Living a life of love like the Father is especially difficult. I am constantly checking myself and thinking about the words I said, thoughts I thought, things I did, decisions I made and mannerisms I had. I think and ask myself, Was that something God would have said? Is this something God would be thinking about? Is that something God would do? Is that the decision God would have made? Also, sadly, I ask myself these things after I have spoken too soon, thought something unholy, acted too fast, made a decision based on what I wanted and not want on God wants for me. I think about those things after the fact all too often. I guess with my new take on life, I need to work on that first. In order to be an imitator of God I have to know who He is. I can't know who He is if I am not spending time with Him daily and constantly evaluating the way I do things and if those are pleasing to Him. I have to start simply first. I need to think about how God would do things before I do them. Then, and only then, will I become more like God and be an imitator of Him for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment