Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Sally's 1 month

Sally Jean Alford
1 Month old

 
 
Dear Sally,
 
          Your first month went by so fast!  Unfortunately, this first month hasn't come without its own set of problems, but with God's help and the support of family and friends, we made it through.  When I first set my eyes on you, I was so in love.  You were beautiful and amazing.  You had quite the set of lungs on you.  I remember thinking how much louder your cry was than your big sister.  You cried the entire time you were in the operating room.  I also remember thinking you were twinsies with your big sister.  However, you soon took on a look of your own.  However, there is most certainly no question that you two are related!  Our days in the hospital were peaceful and great.  I got to have some great bonding time with you, especially at night.  I did let the nurse take you to the nursery for one nap, so I could get a nap in.  But I remember just being so ansy to get my hands back on you.  I held you as much as I could.  I am very thankful for that alone time with you. 
 
          We went home on Friday, February 21, 2014.  I was ready to get you home and start life with my family of 4.  I was feeling great, recovering extremely well from the c-section.  We got home and things were going really well.  Daddy and I were handling the stress of having a newborn and a 14 month old well.  We were handling the no sleep schedule well.  We were juggling the different tasks well.  We had family over Sunday to snap pictures of you and to spend some time with you. And everything was good. 
 
          The next week was a lot harder...I mean A LOT!  Mommy and Daddy both got sick with food poisoning.  Grandma had to come over and take care of all of us.  Thank goodness for Grandma.  We would not have made it without her. When I was sick, I was scared to touch you because I was afraid we might be sick with something other than food poisoning and we might get you and your sister sick.  So, even though I hate to admit this, I didn't touch you for like 3 days...only because I was worried about your health.  We decided that the week Daddy went back to work, we would go stay at your grandparent's house.  Mommy was very emotional and scared to take care of you and your sister by herself..  Once again, grandma came to the rescue and really took care of us.  She got very attached to you.  She says there is something very familiar about you.  You resemble me and your uncle, Jeremy. 
 
          After a week at grandma's, I knew I needed to get home and start taking care of you girls by myself.  So, we went home and I am happy to say, we are getting the hang of things.  Mommy is getting better at this mommy thing and we are figuring our day schedule out. 
 
          You still wake up every 3-4 hours like clockwork.  You do not hesitate to let us know when you are hungry or have a dirty diaper.  You have a very LOUD cry.  You are eating about 3-4 ounces of formula.  However, there are some times when you only want an ounce or two.  You have many wet diapers every day.  So, at least your plumbing is working.  You do struggle with number 2's from time to time and I have to get out the prune juice.  You are still swimming in newborn clothing.  But I have moved you up to size one diapers, not really because the newborn size doesnt fit you, but because we ran out and I have size one diapers to use. 
 
          You enjoy sleeping in the BOPPY seat, which you do pretty much all day unless someone is holding you.  You like your pacifer with the wub a nub.  You do not prefer to be naked, but like to be warm and cozy in clothing.  You lost the belly button thing around week 3.  You are not a fan of baths, and the first bath I gave you, you decided to poop during it.  You are trying to hold your head up and it is so cute and wobbly.  You have brown eyes.  It took forever for us to see your eyes because you slept so much the first couple weeks (except at night). 
 
          Right now, I do most of your feedings, but daddy does the one right before we go to bed and the next one.  I admit it is difficult for two people to get up in the middle of the night to feed you because your Mommy and Daddy LOVE their sleep.  But, once we start feeding you, your precious face is hard to resist.  When you eat, you drool a lot of your food on yourself.  You are quite messy.  I have noticed that sometimes you struggle most with your nighttime feedings.  I am not sure what is going on there. 
 
          Things I have loved about this month:
~meeting you for the first time
~feeling your soft skin
~you holding your head up the best you can
~when your sister gives you some love
~your very loud burps
~your tiny toesies
~how you study whoever is holding you
~those brown eyes
~how you aren't afraid to make your requests known
 
 
Sally, even though its only been a month, and not every bit of it has been easy, we cannot imagine our family without you.  You have found a permanent place in our hearts and in our home.  We cannot wait to see what God has in store for you and I pray every day that He writes His name all over you.  We love you so much!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment