Tuesday, October 20, 2015

10 Things I want my Daughters to know before they are preteens

This is a difficult and scary world to be in the beginning stages of raising children.  There are hidden dangers lurking around every corner.  Society and social media are running rampant with ways to tempt our kids from being who they were created to be.  I want my girls to know that there is more to this life than what they see on tv and in movies, books, and magazines. 

So, without further delay, here are the thing I want my girls to know before they begin the really hard walk through teenage years. 

1. Never be afraid to share the things you are passionate about.  You may still enjoy playing with baby dolls or your dollhouse when you are 10 and that is ok.  You may still really enjoy swinging on swings and playing dress up.  If you enjoy it, it is ok.  Never let anyone take your childlike innocence away. 

2. It is ok to disagree with me and others.  God made you fearfully and wonderfully, and uniquely.  Your differences are what make you an individual.  You will not always agree with everyone, even those who you hold near and dear to your heart.  That is perfectly ok. 

3. You are beautiful. You are made in the image of God.  He created you perfectly.  Don't let what you see and what you are told by others get in the way of you seeing yourself the way God sees you.  You are a daughter of the Almighty King.  He thinks you are beautiful no matter what.  Don't let anyone label you.  A good friend told me the other day that the only one who can label you is the one who created you.  Hold tight to that. 

4. Pour yourself  into books.  They can offer so much insight and wisdom, especially the Bible.  Books help your imagination take off and discover so many fun and fascinating things. 

5. It is really never about you.  People are going to say mean things to you and about you to others.  They are going to hurt you.  People are imperfect and we say and do things that are hurtful to others.  Don't take it personally.  It isn't you.  They are struggling with a problem of their own.  Remember we are not fighting the people we see face to face but the powers of the evil one who only comes to destroy lives. 

6. There is no one human being who will be your everything.  It has taken me a long time to come to realize that I cannot find fulfillment in people on this earth.  Your fulfillment, your true joy and contentment come from your Heavenly Father.  He can be your everything.  Make everything you do be about knowing Him, loving Him, loving like Him, and being in a continual, everlasting relationship with Him.  God loves you. 

7. I really am doing my best.  I know it may not seem like.  I know I say things an react in ways that are hurtful.  Please forgive me when I do.  I don't know what I am doing.  Parenting is a new territory for me and THE hardest thing I will ever do.  Be gracious to me as I work to be gracious towards you.  I will not always love the choices you make, but I promise you that not a second will pass that I don't love you with every ounce of my being.  And that is the truth. 

8. Follow truth.  Your life will be riddled with lies.  Don't believe them.  Don't follow after the author of lies.  Read God's Word to know the truth.  Don't allow lies to take root in your heart.  It is hard to get those pieces back. Align yourself with the Father of Lights.  In Him there is no darkness. 

9. Speak Life.  You will be held accountable for the things that you say.  Make your words glorify God and bless others. Speak truth in a loving way that only breathes life into others. Let your words be few and your listening be more.  Don't let negative and profane chatter come out of your mouth.  Guard your mouth and ask God to help you speak in a time He has appointed with the words He has appointed you to say so that everything you say is seasoned with grace. 

10. Free yourself from fear. Remember fear is something we allow to take over us.  The moment we do this, we are essentially saying we don't believe God can do what He says He will do.  When fear is occupying a place in your life, God cannot exist there, too.  You have all the power over fear because Jesus gave you all authority over the enemy.  Fear is a tool of the enemy.  Don't let him in. 

My girls, I love you with every bit of my heart.  I hope you know that and feel that every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment