Sunday, August 24, 2014

I see you Sweet Momma

Oh momma.  I see you.  I see you at the restaurant packing your food up quickly because your newborn is crying and hungry, your 3 year old is screaming and throwing a fit and your two year old is just along for the ride.  I see the look of embarrassment and humiliation on your face.  I see the look of utter despair.  I see the look tears and sadness. 

I also see the looks of disapproving parents who think you need to get things under control.  I see the grins and giggles as others just sit there thinking it is funny.  I see the looks of those who wish there was something they could do to help. 

I see all of this because, sweet momma, I am in the throws of this myself.  I feel everyone's eyes on me, wondering when and if I am going to handle a tantruming 20 month old and a hungry 6 month old.  I can literally feel the looks of those who think they would have handled the situation so much better.  I  can hear the remarks of those who say out loud that they would NEVER allow such abehavior. 

This season is a hard time.  There is no other way to put it.  And sometimes there is no other around it. 

But, momma I saw you.  My heart crumbled for you.  And all I could think to do was clear your table off for you because I knew you just wanted to get out of there.  I wish there was more I could have done for you.  Because I have been there.

So, let this be a reminder to those of us who may be far removed from this scene, to those who have never been there before, to those who say they would never allow it,  and to those who stare disapprovingly.  Instead of being those people, wouldn't it be better to lend a helping hand, deliver a kind word, or offer a sweet smile? You would be amazed at what it would have done for this sweet momma (who by the way, stuck to her guns) and to all the mothers across the world.  We all need a little bit of encouragement along the messy, dirty road of parenting of a toddler. 

No comments:

Post a Comment