Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sally Jean Alford

Sally Jean Alford
February 18, 2014
1:00 pm
8.5 lbs.
20 1/2 in.
 
 
She is here and she is incredible. I am in love all over again. It's funny, but I wondered all during this pregnancy if I would be able to love another child like I love Ava. As soon as my eyes met Sally's eyes, as she was being lifted up over the sterile curtain, I fell in love all over again. While my heart was growing in love for this new little blessing in my life, I couldn't help but think of my sweet girl at home who I love so much, too.


Sally came into this world mad and not too happy.  She cried during the cutting of the cord, the weighing, the apgar assessment, and every other thing they were doing in the OR.  When they finally brought her over to me, they put us cheek to cheek and she calmed down.  It was an amazingly sweet moment that I will never forget. 

My parents, my sister and her kids and Ava came to see her first.  Ava was not too impressed with her.  More than anything, she wanted whoever had her to let her down so she could get into things.  My brother and his family came later on in the evening.

The first night, Curtis stayed with us.  It was a long night of maybe 15 minutes apiece of sleep and not all at once.  Sally was just very uncomfortable and kept gagging on spit up.  It scared me.  She also had several dirty diapers.  I was beyond exhausted and was not much help to Curtis because of the medicine they had put me on. 

The next day Curtis stuck with me because I was in pain and needed his help with Sally.  I needed to be able to sleep well during the day because Curtis was going to go home that evening and take care of Ava.  My parents brought her up to me later that evening so I could see her because I missed her so much.  Then Curtis, Ava, and my parents left Sally and I to ourselves.  It was a quiet evening with Sally.  I really enjoyed that time with her.  I held her as much as I wanted and just got to bond with her.  I did send her to the nursery for a few hours in between feedings so I could get some sleep.  That was nice, too, but I was itching to get my hands on my sweet Sally. 

So far Sally has been doing well.  She loves her Swaddle Me wrap.  She loves to be cuddled and held. She seems to have her days and nights confused and sleeps mostly during the day and whines at night to be held.  I can't help but succomb to the pressure!  She is eating every 2-3 hours anywhere between 1 1/2 -2 ounces.  We still haven't been able to figure out her eye color.  She hasn't opened her eyes long enough or big enough to see.  We are just so in love with this blessing from above.  She is perfect in every way.  I am truly grateful for her entering into our family. 

Here are some pictures of her:














No comments:

Post a Comment