Monday, June 27, 2011

Fear of the Lord!

The wedding was beautiful and perfect. The words that were said during the ceremony were so beautiful. I was able to see many old friends and that was wonderful, as well.

Being at this wedding has made me reflect on my own marriage. I think all weddings do that to many people. My marriage has not always been a fairytale...I am much of the reason why. My stubborn and opinionated self often get in the way of me being the helpmeet that I was created to be for my husband.

A few years ago, I bought a book called Created to be his Help Meet by Debi Pearl. I read like 4 or 5 chapters of it and if my memory serves me correctly threw the book on the shelf instead of carefully placing it on the shelf. My students would be appalled at the action I took with a book since I am constantly telling them.."We are book readers...NOT book beaters!" Anyway...I couldn't spend one more second reading that book. Only recently, after doing a study on how to be a woman of godly character have I even thought about reading it again and after going to the wedding, I have decided it is important that I read it again. So, this morning, I picked it up and started it.

What I read today was about..."The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." Proverbs 9:10
Now Ms. Pearl went on a whole different route with that verse. One I can't really relate to and one I am going to work my hardest at not relating to EVER! But, nonetheless, I thought the verse was fitting with my recent "fears" I am having. When you truly fear the Lord, you are brought to an overwhelming desire to know God more and more. When you read His word and spend time with Him, knowledge and peace are developed in you. I think when many people think about the fear of the Lord, it makes them think negatively about God. It makes them think of this overpowering giant who doesn't really care. But when I think about the fear of the Lord, to me it means a reverence, respect for God. It means that when you truly fear the Lord, you are intentional about your relationship with Him. You are not worried about your relationship with Him, but take an obligation to build a more comprehensive relationship with Him every day.


Father, create in me a true, respectful fear of You. Help cultivate peace, fear, and knowledge in me so that I can be a better help meet for Curtis as You have created me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment