Sunday, June 22, 2014

Thorns


Thorns.  Those prickly little pointy things that really hurt.  Whenever Ava goes to reach out for a rose from a rosebush, I quickly grab her hand so she won’t be punished with ones of those thorns.  But in reality, we cannot get away from those thorns.  We all have them.  We all have one, or two, or three or….(I could go on and on) thorns that cripple us. 

One of my thorns would be my endless list of fears and anxieties.  I would list them all out for you, but we would be here all day and that is quite embarrassing.  Some of you have no idea the thoughts that creep into my mind and linger and linger and linger… (and some of you know the feeling all too well).  I neglect living in the moment, being joyful and content, being grateful for what is set before me because I am too busy worrying about the maybe’s, what if’s, if only’s, the would haves-could haves-should haves. I miss out on so many opportunities because I am scared of what could happen. 

Every day I get up I struggle with this…no lie. It doesn’t go away.  The saddest part of this is, I know my fearfulness and anxiousness is a representation of the lack of faith I have in Jesus.  This is me and my total irreverence to God.  This is me truly not trusting Him and His promises.  This is me being an unbelieving believer.  I pray that God will take this away.  I pray He will help me to conquer these fears and put Satan in his place.  But, I wake up the next morning and the thoughts start whirling around in my head all over again.  Thankfully, I have a Father whose love for me is so great that these worries and fear cannot overtake me.  His compassions are never failing, but come new to me every.single.morning! He is so faithful.  (Lamentations 3:22-23)

But, even with our thorns, God can make something good out of it.  For me, this thorn has kept me coming to Jesus to ask for His help.  This thorn has me looking up scripture that can bring peace.  This thorn has helped me be there for others who struggle with the same problem.  This thorn has reminded me of God’s goodness. 

While, I wish I could wake up one morning and not have a worry in the world, I am comforted in knowing that there is good that can come from bad.  If this thorn keeps me close to God and will bring Him glory, then the pain that comes along with it will be well worth it.  So I will praise Him for my thorns!

No comments:

Post a Comment