Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving in Ohio

We had a wonderful time in Ohio for Thanksgiving.  This was our first road trip since Ava has started walking.  On our way there, she wasn't too thrilled and I was worried it was because of her new car seat, but really I think it was because she doesn't like being confined now.  She did a great job on our way home, though. She didn't fuss at all!  We were really proud of her.  She enjoyed showing all my family her new skill at walking and getting into everything!  She also showed them how she likes to drop to the ground when something gets taken from her or she doesn't get her way...little turkey.   She slept wonderfully at nights and did great during the days when she didn't always get her normal 2 naps.  Mommy and daddy were tired...those little legs can wear an adult out! 
Ava in the car seat on our way there!

The ride there was a little yucky.  It snowed almost the whole way and the wind was really scary.  I was seriously worried the car may tip over.  It didn't help to see a semi-truck tip over and thankfully, the guard rail saved him from falling over the mountain.  I was glad to get out of those mountains.

Anyway, it was so great to be with family.  I LOVE my parents and siblings, but I also love my extended family in Ohio.  It is amazing how we can be so far away from each other, yet have such a close relationship.  I wouldn't trade them for anything!  We were able to laugh and enjoy each others company and while one very important person was missing, our grandpa, we were able to laugh and tell stories about him. Thanksgiving evening, we watched OLD home movies of all of us.  It was awesome to see our grandpa right there in the middle of all the kids playing.  He was a great grandpa and he is dearly missed.  Looking around at all of us while watching those movies, hearing all the laughter, I couldn't help but think of how proud he is of us and how he was looking down at us so glad we were together and he was probably thinking, as he use to say, "Yep, Look at what I started!"
Ava sitting in a high chair that has also sat 18 other grandbabies and great grandbabies

On Friday, I got to see my aunt Candy and Uncle Ken, my mom's sister and husband.  It has been a long time since I got to see them.  They got to meet Ava for the first time.  She had a great time walking around their big, really cool house! It is a old horse stable converted into a house...really neat.  I use to LOVE playing over there.  It was funny to hear her and mom talk about their childhood and I was so thankful I got to see her...it has been too long! 


We headed back on Saturday instead of Sunday because we were worried traffic would be horrible on Sunday, which I am sure it was! As always, it was hard to say goodbye and tears were flowing in all three cars.  We stopped at our usual Bob Evans before crossing the Ohio State border and we got some pictures of the kids in front of the wagon that is dressed up for Christmas. At one point, Ava needed a diaper change, and I did not want to stop. We were about an hour away from home, so I got the bright idea to change her in the car seat.  Would not have been so bad if there hadn't been poop hiding in there.  I will NEVER do that again!  It was awful, but, needless to say, it did get done! 
Ava and her cousins in front of the wagon at Bob Evans. 
The house in the background is where Bob Evans use to live. 

 
 


We had a great time and I am so thankful to God for keeping us safe and allowing us that time together.  Now, time to get ready for Ava to turn 1!
Ava playing on our way home

No comments:

Post a Comment