Saturday, December 21, 2013

Author and Perfector of Our Faith

The Author and Perfector of Our Faith 



Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:1-2

Jesus is the author and perfector of our faith.  He is writing our faith story.  That is how I read those verses today. 

I am always wondering about what story do I have to tell.  What is my great testimony? What is my faith story?  Truth is, I don't know.  Fact is, it is not done yet.  Jesus is still writing it and perfecting it.  What I have failed to ask myself as I have wondered about my faith story is, Am I writing this story or is God? 

The answer to that-I have spent most of my life getting in the way of letting God write my story.  It's a control thing.  I think that I have to plan out every aspect of my life. I think that I have to know exactly what is going on.  I think I know what is best for my life.  But where has that gotten me?  Nowhere, really. 

Instead, I am constantly seeking this huge story.  I think my faith story has to be extravagant.  Some unforgettable, life-changing sequence of events that makes me this memorable person who changed so many lives.   


The truth of the matter is, my faith story may not be anything extraordinary.  I look at Katie, who is over in Africa.  I don't know her at all.  But her stories I read on her blog are amazing, moving, and make you want to be a better person. You should check her blog out: http://kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/    That may never be what my faith story looks like.  But I need to remember that is okay.  I tend to minimalize the job that God has given me-to be a mommy to Ava and my little one who is on the way.  And parenting is a tough job (and Ava is only a year old).  I don't want to just be Ava's mom, but I want to make sure that Ava is being shown by example how to be a godly woman.  In this world we live in, that task is daunting.  Downright scary. And I am so imperfect.  I fail at godliness daily.   Maybe my raising of Ava and Sally are going to be a big part of my faith story.  I don't know.  But I am learning that is doesn't have to be some huge story that captivates everyone.  I just need to captivate God and I need to allow Him to do the writing and perfecting of that story. 





No comments:

Post a Comment